There were without question, some pretty fascinating cars produced prior to WWII. While I concentrate on cars from the 1950's to the present, I can't help but bring some of these interesting cars into the collection. For lack of a better place of putting them, I have also included some of the Dinky and Corgi toy cars I had as kid, as well as cars that don't fit the other catagories in the collection.

PRE-WWII RACING, SPECIAL INTEREST & CLASSIC CARS TO 1970

RACING CARS:

1924 Bentley 3 Litre Sport (LE MANS WINNER): 1924 was the start of the Bentley legend at Le Mans, it was also the beginning of the traditional mid-June start date; in order to take advantage of the longer days and better weather. Capt. John Duff and Bentley factory driver Frank Clement. The Bentley was the only non-French car in the race. Duff took the lead early Sunday morning and Clement extended it later in the day, putting too much pressure on the second place Lorraine, which was ultimately retired before it could catch-up. Powered by 3.0L straight-four engine, the 'Green Label' Bentley was one of the first production car engines with 4 valves per cylinder, dry-sump lubrication and an overhead camshaft; which could propel the big car at over 100 mph.
Model by IXO 1/43
1925 Lorraine-Dietrich B3-6 Sport (LE MANS WINNER): Coming Soon!
1926 Lorraine-Dietrich B3-6 Le Mans (LE MANS WINNER): Societe Lorraine de Dietrich et Cie entered three of their cars at Le Mans in 1926 and finished 1-2-3. This is the winning car driven by Robert Bloch and Andre Rossignol. Theirs became the first car in Le Mans history to average over 100 km/h and they also broke a twenty year old 24-hour distance record. Lorraine-Dietrich became the first make to win Le Mans twice, as well as having back-to-back wins in 1925 and 1926. It was also the second Le Mans win for Rossignol. Only four B3-6 cars were built, powered by a 3.5L straight-six engine, which produced a top sepped of 95 mph.
Model by IXO 1/43
1927 Bugatti 35B: Louis Chiron was one of the best drivers of his day. He had a Grand Prix career which spanned 29 years and is the oldest driver to race in F1 as a 55 year old at Monaco in 1955. He was Bugatti's lead driver and faced stiff competition from drivers such as Nuvolari, Campari and Varzi in other Bugatti's as well as Maserati and Alfa Romeo's. The Type 35B was introduced in 1927, being a 2.3L supercharged version of the overhead cam straight-eight Bugatti engine. In 1928, Chiron dominated the races that he entered. Even though disputes in race regulations led to most large Grand Prix being run by sports cars, Chiron was the winner in this car at Royal Rome GP, much to the chagrin of the Italians.
Model by ALTAYA (modified) 1/43

1927 Bentley 3 Litre Sport (LE MANS WINNER): Dr John Dudley Benjafield and Sammy Davis dominated the Le Mans field in 1927. The Bentley Motors entry finished over 350 laps ahead of the secons place Salmson. Known as 'Old No. 7', the 3.0L 4-cylinder car in Green Lable 'Sport' trim was capable of 90 mph. Bejafield and Davis drove this car in the 1926 race, crashing one hour from the end of the race. In 1927, their car alone survived the famous White House crash, which involved all three team cars,
Model by IXO 1/43
1928 Bentley 4.1/2 Litre (LE MANS WINNER): Replacing the 3.0 Litre, the 4 1/2 Litre Bentleys used a four-cylinder in-line four bored out to 4.4L and which produced 130hp.. Woolf Barnato and Bernard Rubin won Le Mans in 1928 in this car, setting a new record distance covered of 1,659 miles and an average speed of 111.2 mph. Its sister car driven by Sir Henry Birkin and Jean Chassagne finished 5th, setting fastest lap of the race along the way. Each of the Bentley race cars of the era seemed to have received names and this car was no fifferent. Barnato christened this car "Old Mother Gun". After Le Mans it was converted to s single seat racer and renamed the Jackson Special.
Model by BRUMM 1/43
1929 Bentley Speed Six (LE MANS WINNER): Captain Woolf 'Babe' Barnato and Sir Henry 'Tim' Birkin won the 1929 Le Mans in this car, setting fastest lap in the process. The Speed Six with its 6.5L straight-six engine was introduced in 1928 as a more sporting version of the Bentley 6 1/2 Litre. This car was affectionately named "Old Number One'. The Speed Six would dominate Le Mans in 1929 & 1930.
Model by ALTAYA 1/43
1930 Bentley Speed Six (LE MANS WINNER): Woolf Barnato teamed with Glen Kidston in 'Old Number One' to give Barnato a Le Mans win for the third consecutive year. The win in 1930 made four consecutive wins for Bentley. The Bentley era of dominance was coming to an end however, as smaller and lighter cars were giving the world's fastest lorries and increasingly harder run for the money.
Model by IXO 1/43

1929 Bentley 4 1/2 Litre Birkin Blower: Sir Henry 'Tim' Birkin was an avid racer and became one of the Bentley Boys, winning Le Mans in 1929. Birkin, believed that a superior Bentley racing car could be built by fitting a supercharger to the 4½ litre Bentley, with a lightened body. When W.O. Bentley refused to supercharge the factory cars, Birkin set out to develop one himself. Using a Villiers Roots-type supercharger, the 4-cylinder engine developed 242 bhp, which was 112 bhp more than the unblown 4 1/2 litre racing car. This car was called No. 1, and in its first race at Brooklands in 1929, the fabric body caught fire from the exhaust. Birkin had the car re-bodied out of aluminium by Reid Railton. It was successfully raced at Brooklands until 1932, having set the outer course record multiple times. The final lap record at 137.96 mph, the engine now 4.4L.
Model by NEO 1/43
/u>:
/u>:

1931 Mercedes SSKL: 1928 saw the introduction of the SS or super sport model fitted with a 7-litre engine and finally the SSK the most famous version of all. 1931 saw a limited specially lightened super-charged model, the SSKL, producing an astounding 300 bhp (150 mph) with which Caracciola would win the Mille Miglia.
Model by SOLIDO 1/43
1935 Lagonda Rapide M45 (LEMANS WINNER): The Alfa Romeo team miscalculated their total number of laps and position, thinking they were in the lead, only to lose to this Laganda driven by Johnny Hindmarsh and Luis Fontès who were ahead on distance. Powered by a large 4.5L six Meadows engine, the Lagonda was capable of 100 mph. It was Lagonda's swan song before going into receivership. Ironically, both drivers would be killed in military plane crashes during WWII.
Model by IXO 1/43
1936 Bugatti Type 57G (LEMANS WINNER): Nicknamed the 'Tank', built on the 57S chassis, the 57G was one of the first envelope bodied race cars. At the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1937, Jean-Pierre Wimille and Robert Benoist drove a Type 57G to victory at Le Mans at an average speed of 85 mph. It was powered by the 57S' 3.3L in-line eight cylinder engine and 135 hp.
Model by IXO 1/43
1936 Fiat 508CS MM Berlinetta: Launched in 1935, the 508 CS MM Berlinetta shared its mechanical elements,including the more powerful 1.0L four-cylinder engine (42 bhp) with the 508 S Balilla "Spider Sport". The body was a an aerodynamic coupe based on the Balilla and was intended for competition on endurance race such as the Mille Miglia. The CS was heavier than the 508 S and proved to be less competitive, although one won its class on the Mille Miglia in 1938 with a larger 1.1L engine. This car was driven by Aldo Marazza and C. Benetti on the 10th Mille Miglia in 1936. They finished 34th on the race run between Brescia and Rome.
Model by STARLINE 1/43

1938 BMW 328 : Entered by Frazer Nash (the British distributor for BMW) in the 1938 Mille Miglia, A. F. P. Fane and Bill James finished in 8th position overall and took the 2.0L class win. Frazer Nash raced this car at Le Mans and in the Tourist Trophy races (both DNF) before wsuccess in the Mille. It was raced in private hands in the 1940 Mille, finishing 6th. The 328 was powered by a 2.0L OHV six-cylinder engine, which gave it a top speed of 93 mph. Production of the 328 stopped in 1940 as WWII consumed Europe.
Model by VITESSE 1/43
1938 Delahaye 135 CS (LEMANS WINNER): The CS stands for Competition Speciale and the car was produced for long distance endurance races and rallies. Eugéne Chaboud and Jean Trémoulet drove this big car to victory at Le Mans in 1938. With a 3.6L in-line six-cylinder engine, triple carburetors and long stroke, it produced 160 hp. Every surface of the engine was carefully machined to reduce excess weight. This is one of 16 135 CS' prepared for competition.
Model by IXO 1/43
1939 Simca Huit - Fiat : Amedée Gordini and José Scaron won the Index of Performance finishing 10th overall and 1st in class at Le Mans in 1939. Gordini had not yet started putting his names on the cars he modified for racing. This streamliner is perhaps the most famous of the pre-war specials made by Gordini and powered by a 1.5L Fiat engine in a Simca Huit chassis, with special body work. Gordini would go on to produce special cars in conjunction with Renault and Simca after wwII.
Model by IXO 1/43

1938 Bentley 4 1/4 Litre: Known as the Embiricos Special, it is so named for its first owner Andre Embiricos, who agreed to finance a low drag concept car for Bentley with an aerodynamic coupe body designed by Paulin in France. Its 4.3L straight-six engine produced 142bhp and it could reach 110mph. The car was soldto HSF Hay in 1939 and was used extensively as his personal car. Hay, also know as Jack or Soltan, entered the car in the first post-war Le Mans in 1949, with 60,000 miles on the clock. He finished 6th, with Tommy Wisdom. Back again in 1950 with Hugh Hunter as co-driver, Hay's Bentley finished 14th overall . It was enetered in 1951 again, with Tom Clarke co-driving, but did not finish. This is the 1950 Le Mans livery.
Model by SPARK 1/43
1939 Bugatti Type 57 C ' Tank'(LEMANS WINNER): Jean Pierre Wimille and Pierre Veyron drove this entry to victory at Le Mans in 1939. The car was entered in Wimille's name. A revision of the 1937 Le Mans winning 'Tank', this ca was based on the T57 C mechanicals, including the 3.3L inline-eight cylinder, supercharged engine which produced 160 hp. Shortly after Le Mans, Jean Bugatti was testing the car on a closed road and was killed when he crashed the car after swerving to avoid hitting a drunk bicyclist. WWII ended any further Bugatti racing car development and also put an end to Le Mans for ten years.
Model by IXO 1/43
:

CLASSIC & SPECIAL INTEREST CARS PRE-WWII:

1925 Ford Model T: Known as the Tin Lizzie and Flivver, produced from 1908 through 1927, the Model T set 1908 as the historic year that the automobile came into popular usage. The T had a front mounted, 2.9 L four-cylinder, producing 20.2 hp, for a top speed of 40-45 mph. It is generally regarded as the first affordable automobile, the car that "put America on wheels". Laurel & Hardy used the T as a prop in many of their movies.
Model by POLITOYS 1/24
1927 Bentley 3.0L Super Sport: The 3.0 L straight-4 engine was large for its day, but it was its technical innovations that were most noticed. It was one of the first production engines with 4 valves per cylinder, and these were driven by an overhead camshaft. It was also among the first with two spark plugs per cylinder, pent-roof combustion chambers, and twin carburetors. A 3.0L Super Sport Bentley won Le Mans in 1927.
Model by CORGI 1/43
1929 Cord L29: Founded and run by E. L. Cord as a holding company for his many transportation interests, including Auburn, Cord had a philosophy to build truly different, innovative cars, believing they would also sell well and turn a profit. Cord innovations include front wheel drive on the L-29. Its drive system allowed it to be much lower than competing cars. Both stock cars and special bodies built on the Cord chassis by American and European coachbuilders won prizes in contests worldwide.
Model by SOLIDO 1/43

1929 Lancia Dilambda Torpedo: The Dilambda was produced by Lancia between 1928 and 1935. The car was officially presented in Paris Motor Show in 1929. The car has 4 litre V8 engine, producing 110 bhp. They are elegant, fast motor cars in the Italiam tradition. Many were rebodied. Our lucky chap has a sporting flair, preferring open air motoring is his big touring car.
Model by RIO 1/43
1929 Lancia Dilambda: A more sedate sedan perhaps? Still fast and still Italian!
Model by RIO 1/43
1930 Bentley 6 1/2L Blue Train: "The Bentley Speed Six was introduced in 1928 as a more sporting version of the Bentley 6½ Litre. It would become the most-successful racing Bentley, claiming victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1929 and 1930 with Bentley Boys drivers Woolf Barnato, ""Tim"" Birkin, and Glen Kidston. This Sportsman Coupe by Gurney Nutting was named for the famous race against the Blue Train, with Barnato beating the train to London before it reached Calais, both having set out from Cannes at the same time. It was not the actual car which took place in the race."
Model by MINICHAMPS 1/43

1932 Duesenburg SJ: E.L. Cord, owner of Cord & Auburn Automobile, saved Dusenburg by buying the company in 1926. Hiring Fred Duesenberg to design the chassis and an engine that would be the best in the world, the newly revived Duesenberg company set about to produce the Model J. From a dual overhead camshaft straight 8 that was capable of a top speed of 140 mph, the supercharged SJ version was one of the first "supercars". The Great Depression killed the cars off in 1937.
Model by SOLIDO 1/43
1932 Rolls Royce Phantom: The Phantom was Rolls-Royce's replacement for the original Silver Ghost. Like the famed Ghost, the Phantom was constructed both in the United Kingdom and United States from 1925-1931. The engine in these cars was an aluminum head 7.7L OHV in-line six. This Brewster bodied roadster was made in the USA, and doubt this was an actual RR color.
Model by RIO 1/43
1933 Talbot T23: The French Talbot company was reorganised in 1935 by Anthony Lago and after that, the Talbot-Lago name was used but on the home market the cars bore a Talbot badge. The T23 used an inline 4.0L six-cyl. engine producing 115 bhp. After 1936, many famous Talbot-Lago cars with elegant Figoni et Falaschi teardrop designs were made and have their origins in this car.
Model by SOLIDO 1/43

1934 Fiat 508S Balillia: The 508S Balilla Sport competition version was inspired by an original design by Carrozzeria Ghia. The Coppa d' Oro (Gold Cup), was named after Fiat's success in that long distance race. The Balilla was powered by a tuned version of the Fiat 995cc four-cylinder sidevalve engine which produced 46 bhp and the car was successful in classic events in the pre-WW2 era, including the Mille Miglia, Monte Carlo Rally, Targa Florio, Spa 24-Hour, Ulster TT and Le Mans.
Model by DUGU 1/43
1937 Cord 812: The body design of the Cord 812 was the work of designer Gordon M. Buehrig. Nearly devoid of chrome, the new car was so low it required no running boards. Pontoon fenders were featured with headlights that disappeared into the fenders via dashboard hand cranks. A super-charged Lycoming V8 engine powered the car capable of doing 112 mph. Supercharged 812 models were distinguished from the normally-aspirated 812s by the brilliant chrome-plated external exhaust pipes mounted on each side of the hood and grill. '37 was the last year for Cord.
Model by DUGU 1/43
1938 BMW 327 Cabriolet: The BMW 327 was produced by the Bavarian firm between 1937 and 194, and again produced after 1945 in two-door sedan and cabriolet form. It sat on a shortened version of the BMW 326 chassis, with which it also shared the 1971 cc straight 6, with a modest power increase to 55 bhp and top speed of 78 mph. A higher-powered model, the 327/28, was offered with the BMW 328's 80 hp (60 kW) engine. 569 of these high-powered 327s were built up to 1940.
Model by IXO 1/43

1937 H.J. Mulliner Rolls Royce Phantom III Saloon: This beautiful car was originally ordered to the specifications of Alan Samuel Butler, the chairman of the de Havilland Aircraft Company. Coachbuilder H.J. Mulliner, who set about creating a body that would satisfy Mr. Butler's nuanced understanding of aerodynamics. Their design included aeronautically inspired features such as the forward-sloping V-split windscreen, a swept tail, an internally contained spare tire, and a dash console highlighted by a Smith Aneroid altimeter.
Model by ILARIO 1/43
1937 H.J. Mulliner Rolls Royce Phantom III Saloon: In 1940, Mr. Butler presented his one-off Phantom III as a gift to Britain's War Department for use by the chiefs of the British General Staff. In 1944, it was allocated to General Bernard Montgomery, known affectionately as "Monty," Montgomery used the car to triumphantly enter Berlin after the defeat of the Germans in WWII. This model is handmade by Ilario and is one of one hundred made. It was driven extensively by Monty's chauffer, Sergeant Cedric Parker.
1937 H.J. Mulliner Rolls Royce Phantom III Saloon: During its use under government service the car was driven over 300K miles. "Monty's Rolls" has carried dignitaries such as Winston Churchill and Dwight Eisenhower, and royalty such as King George VI. Monty purchased the car after the war and owned it until 1962, when it became a part of the Leake museum in America. It is now in private hands. Chassis 3AX79 has consistently been said to be the finest running original Phantom III in existence
1937 Hispano-Suiza K6 Break de Chasse: The K6 was produced by Hispano-Suiza from 1934-1937 when the company ceased auto production and concentrated on airplane engines. After WWII, the original owner of this car had the sedan bodied chassis rebodied in 1948 to this very attractive woody by Franay. The interior upholstery is water buffalo to make the ultimate sportsman shooting brake and it took nine hides to complete. The K6 is powered by a 5.2L 6-cylinder engine, which powered the car to a top speed of just under 90 mph. This car has been featured at the Pebble Beach Concours.
Model by MATRIX

1938 Mercedes Benz 770K: Erroneously known as Hitler's parade car, this car was in fact that of Gustaf Mannerheim, Marshall and later President of Finland, hardly a Nazi. Powered by an inline eight cylinder engine of 7655 cc with overhead valves and aluminium pistons, it produced 200 bhp with a Roots type supercharger, which could propel the car to 100 mph.
Model by RIO 1/43
1938 Talbot Lago T150SS: The "Teardrop" is one of the most beautiful automotive designs ever created. Based on a T150SS chassistand bodied by Figoni et Falaschi, the Teardrop was one of the most expensive cars of its time and only sixteen were completed. One was raced in stock form at Le Mans in 1938 and placed third. As powerful as it is beautiful, these cars are powered by a 4.0 L six-cylinder engine, which produces 140 bhp and a 115 mph top speed. This car was raced in Algeria, Morocco and in France during its early life. It won Pebble Beach in 1997.
Model by ALTAYA 1/43
1938 Alvis 3.8 Litre Drophead: Alvis began making cars near Coventry until 1967. In the pre-WWII era, they were noted for their luxurious and highly innovative coach built motorcars. Powered by a six-cylinder engine, the Alvis also had independent front suspension, all-synchromesh gearbox (world's first) and servo assisted brakes.
Model by ALTAYA 1/43

1939 Rolls Royce Phantom II: The Phantom II replaced the Phantom in Rolls-Royce's offerings in 1929. It shared the 7.7 L (7668 cc/467 in³) pushrod-OHV straight-6 engine from its predecessor, being the last large six-cylinder Rolls. This Brewster bodied car in Coupe de Ville style is
Model by SOLIDO 1/43
1939 Rolls Royce Phantom II: As a more sporty version to be fitted with particularly light coachwork the Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental distinguished itself from the basic model. Henry Royce believed there was a market for a self-driven luxury car and the success of this model proved him right. 281 Continental Phantom II's were produced. These cars were usually bodied by either Park Ward or Mulliner.
Model by SOLIDO 1/43
1939 Rolls Royce Phantom II: The Continental was a short wheelbase version of the Phantom II and was also lighter, consequently offering more performance, plus a better ride thanks to stiffer spring ratings and high speed handling qualities. The name particularly meant that it was well-suited to be driven on the continent. A very nice Drop Head Sedanca Coupe with H.J. Mulliner bodywork.
Model by SOLIDO 1/43

1939 Bugatti 57S: The Bugatti Type 57 was an entirely new design by Jean Bugatti, son of founder Ettore. Most Type 57s used a heavily modified in-line eight cyl. twin-cam 3257 cc engines. Type 57s were built from 1934 through 1940, with a total of 710 examples produced. The Atalante was a two door coupe body built on a lowered chassis. Only 17 Atalante cars were made.
Model by SOLIDO 1/43
1939 Delage D8-120: This French beauty is powered by a 4.3L straight 8-cyl. engine, which produced a top speed of about 100 mph. Delage established stellar racing success in the 1920's, winning Indianapolis and several Gran Prix, including the first British GP. Hard times befell the company however, being purchased by Delahaye in 1935 and cars produced luxury cars under the Delage name until 1953.
Model by SOLIDO 1/43
1939-41 Lincoln Continental: Edsel Ford commissioned the design for his personal car to be used on vacation in 1939. It proved so popular with his well to do friends, the company pressed the cars into production. Powered by the Lincoln-Zephyr 4.8L V12, the first model Continental is often rated as one of the most beautiful automobile designs from the pre-world war II era.
Model by IXO 1/43

1939 Bugatti Type 57 Galiber: Named after the famous pass in the Alps, the Type 57 Galibier was Bugatti's four-door sports saloon and a nice compliment to the Type 57 coupes. Built between 1933-39, the Galibier used Bugatti's twin-overhead camshaft 3.3L inline-8 which was good for 135 bhp and capable of 95 mph. The coachwork was done at the Bugatti factory, although it is estimated that of the less than 70 Galibier cars built, a quarter are now wearing different coachwork as more sporting roadsters, coupes or cabriolets.
Model by SPARK 1/43
1940 Ford Super Deluxe Wagon: Ford's styling for 1940 is now iconic and easily recognizable. The Super DeLuxe woody wagon was the most expensive model in the Super DeLuxe model range. Ford added more chrome and a choice of interior fabrics to the Super DeLuxe. The 3.6L flat-head V8 was standard in the Super Deluxe cars and this example in Lochaven Green is the ultimate woody wagon!
Model by MINICHAMPS 1/43
1940 Ford Deluxe Wagon: Surf's up! and Wally is on his way to hang ten. The '40 was a continuation of the same basic model from 1937, the 239 Cu.in. V8 produced 95 hp.to move this 3,260 pound beauty and its 8 passengers to the beach. The wood came from maple. ash and basswood grown in Ford's own forests in Northern Michigan!
Model by SUNNY SIDE 1/36
1941 Packard 110 Deluxe Wagon: Designed for the common man that wanted more than a Cadillac (and also needed to haul eight people, plus lumber); the 110 wagon was built for two years before WWII. Approximately 136 were built and roughly less than a couple dozen survive. Powered by Packard's straight-six engine of 4.0L, it produced 100 hp. Steel fenders and cowl were mated to a body made from mahogany and ash, with a plush leather interior, making this a very classy woody!
Model by NEO 1/43

CLASSIC & SPECIAL INTEREST CARS POST-WWII:


1946 Armstrong Siddley Hurricane: Armstrong Siddley is famous for its Sphinx logo and producing quality luxury touring cars. This was the personal car of Sir Malcolm Campbell, which had performance modifications from the standard 75bhp from its six-cylinder engine; and it was painted in his famous Bluebird Blue. It was a fitting motorcar for someone of Sir Malcolm's stature. Unfortunately, he didn't get to enjoy it long, he passed away in 1948 at age 63 after a series of strokes.
Model by OXFORD 1/43
1947 Buick Roadmaster 79 Wagon: Based on pre-war chassis design, 1947 was the first year for the Buick Roadmaster range of cars and the Estate Wagon was the most expensive Buick offered to the public. This 4,500 pound motorcar was propelled along by a 5.2L in-line eight cylinder engine, which offered up 144 hp. Sold for $3,249 new less than 300 of the Estate Wagons were made between 1947-1950, and less than 12 are known to survive today.
Model by NEO 1/43
1948 Ford Super Deluxe V8: Wood bodied cars became very popular after WWII, with most manufactures outsourcing production. Ford instead grew, harvested and produced the wood in its own forests and mills, building the cars in their factories. Powered by a 100 hp, 374 c.i. V8, about 9,000 were made, the last year for wood bodies.
Model by ROAD SIGNATURE 1/43
1948 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan: The Fleetline range was introduced in 1941, just before the outbreak of WWII. Powered by a 3.5L inline six-cylinder OHV engine, the Aerosedan was the most popular model in the range. In 1949, the two-door model was introduced and the Aerosedan was popular for its fastback styling and large truck and interior room. Sold in large numbers, the Fleetline Aerosedan successsfully bridged the pre-war and post-war production gap for Chevrolet until its entire new post-war lines could be introduced.
Model by NEO 1/43

1949 Delahaye 135M: Produced in different body styles from 1935 until the demise of Delahaye in 1954, the 135M was a sports tourer that was also used for racing. Powered by a 3.6L straight-six engine which produced 115hp with triple carburetors, the 135 was clothed by the best French coachbuilders of the time. This car was bodied by the coachbuilder Anthem. The 135, known as "Coupe des Alpes" after its success in the Alpine Rally, also had sporting success on the Mille Milia and at Le Mans before WWII. A Delahaye 135CS won Le Mans outright in 1938.
Model by MATRIX 1/43
1949 Bentley Mk VI Park Ward: The Mark VI was Bentley's fist post-war car, produced at the Rolls Royce Crewe factory from 1946-1952 alongside the Rolls Royce Silver Dawn. The Mark VI was the first car to be offered by Rolls Royce with a standard production steel body, making it the first totally manufactured car by Rolls Royce. The car could also be ordered as a chassis with engine, such as this car, which had a coachwork FHC body made by Park Ward, which had been purchased by Rolls Royce in 1939. The Bentley chassis was 7" shorter than the Silver Dawn's and keeping with Bentley's sporting heritage, the 4.3L (4 1/4L) in-line six-cylinder engine was tuned to supply better performance, as was the chassis.
Model by GLM Models 1/43
1949 Armstrong Siddley Hurricane: Produced from 1946-1953, relatively unchnaged during all years of production. The Hurrican, a two-door drop head coupe was produced alongside the Typhoon, which was a two-door fixed head coupe (1946-1949). Both cars were named for WW2 aircraft built by the parent Hawker Siddeley company. Steel and aluminum body on timber frame work, the Hurricane was typical British touring car construction for the time.
Model by OXFORD 1/43
1949 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith James Young: The Silver Wraith was the first post-war Rolls-Royce. The Silver Wraith chassis was built at the Crewe factory from 1946-1958 alongside production of the Bentley Mark VI. The Silver Wraith was the last chassis only car offered by Rolls Royce, with the introduction of standard steel bodied cars in 1949. The Rolls Royce customer was given a choice of coachbuilders to choose from and this Silver Wraith is fitted with a body by James Young. It is powered by a 4.3L in-line six-cylinder engine. Its interesting to note that the Crewe factory during the war produced the Rolls Royce Merlin aero engine.
Model by GLM Models 1/43

1949 Ford Custom Woody Wagon: With three bench seats there is room for all your sufer dude friends and gear, with the long boards on top. Using the same flat-head V8 as the 1940 model, the 1949 Fords were completely redesigned, more contemporary looking and using hybrid steel-wood bodies, which is exactly what their customer's wanted.
Model by SUNNY SIDE 1/36
1949 Dodge Coronet Wagon: The Coronet range was introduced in 1949 as the top of the Dodge range and featured the first postwar body styles. The only engine option for Dodge was the 3.7L flat-head inline six-cylinder engine, which produced 103hp and an aclaimed 90 mph. A unique option on the Coronet range was a three-speed, fluid-driven transmission that was operated by a foot pedal on the floor. First generation Coronets were produced until 1952, with model year facelifts each year, usually more chrome.
Model by PREMIUM X 1/43
1950 Mercury Monterey: The styling of the Mercury Eight, when it was released in 1949, was successful in both breaking from pre-war styles and differentiating Mercury from its comparable Ford cousin. Powered by a 4.2L flat-head V8, the Monterey introduced in 1950, gave the Mercury line a high-end model. Popular with customizers, the first "lead sled" was a Mercury Eight
Model by MINICHAMPS 1/43
1950 Mercury Monterey: Hod Rodders of the mid to late 50's loved the Mercury with its flat-head eight cylinder engine, which lent its self well to performance modifications. They also loved the styling which allowed great customization such as chopping and channeling. This car has received slight modification, but still subtly says, 'bad ass'!
Model by MINICHAMPS 1/43

1950 Ford Country Squire Wagon: The Country Squire name would adorn Ford station wagon models from 1950 to 1991. The Country Squire wagons all featured wood paneling or wood grained trim to distinguish themselves from other Ford wagons. The first generation in 1950-51 featured actual wood bodies, with wood trim being applied to 1952 and later stell bodied cars. Powered by a 3.9L , these two-door wagons are highly sought after as being the last true 'woody' wagons from Ford. Surf's up!
Model by FRANKLIN MINT 1/43
1950 Austin A40 Devon: The A40 Devon (and similar 2-door A40 Dorset) were made by the Austin Motor Company in England. from 1947 to 1952, they were the first post-war saloons to be produced by Austin. The A40's were powered by a 1.2L straight-4 OHV engine producing 40 bhp. They were popular cars in a post-war car starved England with over 450,000 made.
Model by DINKY 1/43
1949-50 Chrysler Town & Country Newport Coupe: The Town and Country Newport Coupe, or just T&C, was introduced in 1950 and made quite a splash, often being dubbed Chrysler's wonderful woody! With ash wood framing overlays on an all steel body, the coupe was powered by a Spitfire 5.3L straight-eight cylinder engine, producing 135hp. The Town and Country with a 1950 retail price of just over $4,000, was one of Chryslers most expensive models. There were only 698 T&C's made as production ended in 1950..
Models by MARQUE ONE & FRANKLIN MINT 1/43
1951 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Club Coupe: One of these great looking coupes carried me home from the hospital as a baby. Known as the Futuramic Club Coupe, it was an early example of fastback styling and it was a car my Dad was always proud to have owned. Sometimes referred to as America's first muscle car, the Futuramic (stood for wider body) was the first post-war body styling for Oldsmobile. The Rocket 88 OHV V-8 engine with a 5.0L displacement and 135 bhp was good for over 100mph, a magical number for the time. Ours was traded in 1957 for a Renault 4CV, but that's another story.
Model by NEO 1/43

1951 Daimler DB18 Hooper Empress: The DB18 was introduced in 1939, though production was halted for WWII in 1940. Daimler reintroduced an updated version the car in 1948 and named it the Consort. Daimler produced military scout cars during the war and the 2.5L engine from thos cars was placed in the DB18. The six-cylinder produced 70bhp and was able to propel the car to 82 mph. Daimler also sold chassis and engines to British coach builders, Hooper being one of them. Hooper created the Empress saloon, which very much followed other Hooper stylings on Rolls Royce and Bentley chassis of the period. Daimler had a faithful following and royal patronage didnt hurt either. Many Daimlers were imported into India in the early 50's as they were also favored by the Maharaja's.
Model by BEST OF SHOW 1/43
1952 Chevrolet DeLuxe Styleline Wagon: The DeLuxe Styleline Wagon was produced from 1949-1952 and was like most manufacturers top-end wagons, at the top of the price range for all 1952 Chevy's. At a price of $2,281, the Styleline Wagon was no exception and was priced $200 more than Ford's comparable wagon. Even without a V8 engine and selling at a higher price, it still outsold the Ford. It was powered by a 3.5L six-cylinder engine, pumping out 92hp.
Model by NEO 1/43
1953 Ford Country Squire Wagon: The second generation of Country Squire wagons were produced from 1952-1954 and wagons became a separate range within the Ford catalog, Country Squires being at the top. There was one engine available for the wagons, the 3.9L Strato-Star V-8. Mid way through 1953 production, the use of real wood was discontinued and woodgrain decals with fiberglass trim was used instead. The Country Squire was available only in a four-door, however Ford still made a two-door Ranch Wagon.
Model by GOLDVARG 1/43
1954 Willys Jeep Wagon: The first sport utility vehicle, the Willys Wagon was introduced in 1946 with an all-steel body that was easy to construct, minimizing vehicle costs; in both 2WD and 4WD form. Henry Kaiser bought Willys and the 1954 models were the first to feature the Continental Super Hurricane flathead, inline six-cylinder engine. Over 300,000 durable Wilys Jeep Wagons were produced until 1965, with production in several countries. Willys painted the steel body wagons like this one in the 50's to resemble woodies.
Model by NEO 1/43

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air: Part of the second generation of Bel Air's launched in 1955, the newly restyled car earned the nickname "The Hot One". For '55 Chevy's gained a V8 engine option. The new 265 cu. in. V8 was rated at 162 hp and the "Power Pack" option featured a four-barrel carburetor and other upgrades yielding 195 bhp. See the USA in a Chevrolet!
Model by COLLECTOR CARS 1/43
1955 Chevrolet Bel Air: A hardtop version of the Bel Air, the 1955 "shoe box" styled Chevy's were the last before the large tail fin era really took off.
Model by ROAD SIGNATURE 1/43
1955 Chevrolet Nomad: One of 225 models made for the SFBBC 10th Anniversary
Model by BROOKLIN 1/43

1956 Cadillac Viewmaster: Hess & Eisenhardt who made ambulance and hearse bodies on Cadillac chassis in the 50's, decided that there was a market for a luxury Cadillac wagon. Using the Fleetwood Sixty-Special as the basis, twelve of these custom wagons were constructed. They were apparently popular among entertainment stars with young families. The car had a luxury full leather interior and was powered by 6.0L V8 engine which produced 285hp, enough to move the beast easily around the Hollywood Hills.
Model by GLM 1/43
1958 Studebaker Golden Hawk: Produced between 1956-58, the Golden Hawk's raised hood and grille were added to allow space for a larger engine. It initially used Packard's big 5.8L V8, but in '57 a 4.7L super-charged Studebaker engine producing 275 bhp. It was one of the fastest cars in the world at the time it was new, second onlt to the Chrysler 300B.
Model by CORGI 1/43

INTO THE 60's:

1959 Chevrolet Impala: The Impala was Chevrolet's top of the line model and it became the best selling car in the United States. With all new styling, the 1959 Impala featured tail fins that curved outward rather than up. The base V8 was the carryover 4.6L with 185 hp. Performance fans could select larger engines with outputs between 290 hp and the big-block 5.7L V8 with 315 hp.
Model by CORGI 1/43
1960 Rolls Royce Phantom V: Based on the Silver Cloud II, the Phantom V was a large, ultra-exclusive four-door saloon produced between 1959 and 1968. For those that need to know, the Phantom V was powered by a 6.2L V8. Customers for the Phantom V included the Royal Family and were used as state cars. Perhaps the most famous one though is John Lennon's psychedelic painted one.
Model by DINKY 1/43
1960 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud II: Introduced in 1955, the Silver Cloud is the image that pops into my head when I think of Rolls Royce. Stately and elegant, these cars have a commanding presence. The Silver Cloud II was introduced in 1959 and produced until 1963 when the third and final variation was introduced until production ended in 1966.
Model by VEREM 1/43

1961 Lincoln Continental Parade Car: On one of the darkest days of US history, Presdient John F. Kennedy was shot, assasinated while riding in this open parade car through the streets of Dalles, Texas. For those of us old enough to reember, it always stirs poignant memories of that fateful day and the sight of the President, his wife Jackie, then Govenor of Texas John Connelly and his wife Nellie in the moments before and after the shooting. Besides Kennedy, Connelly was also hit by the assassins bullets, but survived. A stock Lincoln Continetal was converted by Hess & Eisenhardt to allow the parade configuration seen here, as well as the ability to use removable steel and plastic roof panels in various combinations. After Dallas, the car was rebuilt and included the addition of armor, bullet proof glass, run flat tires, and other features to provide greater safety for Presidents Johnson, Nixon, Ford and Carter that used the car before it was retired in 1977.
Model by Minichamps 1/43
John F. and Jacqueline Kennedy: I have had the opportunity to visit the Sixth Floor Museum in the former Texas School Book Depository building in Dallas on a coupe of occassions. It is a fascinating museum and poininantly chronicles the vents that led up to and after November 11, 1963. These 9' x 6' portraits of the Kennedys are made up of over 50,000 smaller portraits and are an amzing work of art.
Photomosaics by Alex Guofeng Cao
Dealey Plaza & Grassy Knoll: Looking down on Dealey Plaza from the Sixth Floor of the Texas School Book Depository Building, near where the fatal shots were fired from an open window on 11/22/1963. Elm St. runs right to left at the bottom of the picture and the Presidents car was where the white X's are in the middle lane just above the trees when the shots were fired. The Grassy Knoll is on the right, just beyond the trees. You can also see the overpass the motorcade sped under on its way to Parkland hospital.
Houston Street: The Presidential motorcade travelled down Houston St. towards the camera, before making a left turn onto Elm. St. in front of the Texas School Book Depository building. Dealey Plaza is on the right and the Courthouse is on the left. The motorcade turned onto Houston St.and travelled a block to Elm. To make the turns, the motorcade had to slow significantly, which brings into question why that route was selected.

SERVICE VEHICLES, SUV's, CAMPERS & TRUCKS

1959 Miller-Meteor Cadillac Ambulance: Wayne Works which primarily made school buses purchased both the Meteor and the Miller specialist body companies and combined them into one company (they also purchased Divco.) Building exclusively on Cadillac chassis, Miller-Meteor manufactured funeral cars and ambulances. Built on a long wheelbase Cadillac commercial chassis and special commercial wheels to handle the weight, only 25 ambulances were built in 1959. The most famous is Ecto 1 from Ghostbusters.
Model by ATLAS 1/43



1965 Ford F-100 Pickup: For 1965, the Ford F-100 Series pickups received an all new frame that Ford continued to use up into the late 70's. Probably the biggest improvement was the replacement of a straight front axle with what Ford called "Twin I-Beam" independent suspension. This gave the truck better handling, ride, control and durability. Ford offered three power units in the F-Series range. For economy, both a 3.9 L and a 4.9 L straight six engines were offered. For greater power for loads and towing, two V8's of 4.7L and 5.8 L, which produced 208hp. While its clear based on Ford's advertising that in the mid-60's pickups were still considered primarily work vehicles, there is also a fair amount of coverage on style, comfort and ergonomics; indicating a trend in marketing pickups as more than just work mules was underway.
Model by GOLDVARG 1/43




Our Collection of Woodies here


To continue to another section of the collection, select one of the following:

JAGUAR RACING CARS:
1950's
1960 - 70's
1980's
1990's - PRESENT
JAGUAR AT LE MANS

JAGUAR PRODUCTION CARS:
PRE-WAR to 1968
1969 to 1987
1988 - PRESENT
PRODUCTION MODELS IN ORDER
CONCEPT CARS

FERRARI RACING CARS:
1949 - 1959
1960 - 1969
1970 - 1979
1980 - PRESENT
FERRARI FORMULA ONE
FERRARI PRODUCTION CARS

PORSCHE RACING CARS:
1950's & 60's
1970's
1980 - ON

GRAND PRIX, INDY & FORMULA 1:
1900 - 1959
1960 - 1969
1970 - PRESENT

GREAT MARQUES:
ABARTH
ASTON MARTIN
ALFA ROMEO
AUSTIN HEALEY
BMW
CHAPARRAL
FORD GT40, MkIV & MIRAGE
LOLA
LOTUS
McLAREN
MASERATI
MERCEDES W196 & 300SLR

GREAT RACING & AUTOMOTIVE LEGENDS:
USRRC 1963 to 1968
CAN-AM SERIES 1966 - 1974
IMSA SERIES 1971 - 1998
TRANS-AM SERIES 1966 - 2013
RACING SPORTS, GT & PROTOTYPE CARS 1945 to 1959
RACING SPORTS, GT & PROTOTYPE CARS 1960 to 1969
RACING SPORTS, GT & PROTOTYPE CARS 1970 to PRESENT
LAND SPEED RECORD CARS
PRODUCTION SPORTS. GT & TOURING CARS 1948 - Present
CLASSIC & SPECIAL INTEREST CARS & TRUCKS
RACING SUPPORT VEHICLES AND TRANSPORTERS

DIORAMAS FOR SALE

THE TRIPLE CROWN OF ENDURANCE RACES:
THE 24 HOURS of LE MANS
THE 12 Hours of SEBRING
THE 24 HOURS of DAYTONA

DRIVER TRIBUTES:
THE OLD IRISH RACING HALL OF FAME
JUAN MANUEL FANGIO TRIBUTE
STIRLING MOSS TRIBUTE
DAN GURNEY TRIBUTE
JIM CLARK TRIBUTE
WORLD DRIVER & CONSTRUCTORS CHAMPIONS 1950 - 1985

GREAT RACING TEAMS:
ECURIE ECOSSE
GULF OIL RACING
MARTINI RACING TEAM
GROUP 44, Inc.
CUNNINGHAM RACING TEAM
BRUMOS RACING TEAM

AIRCRAFT:
HISTORIC AIRCRAFT

For copies of images, questions or comments about the collection to: OLD IRISH RACING

Back to: OLD IRISH RACING MODELS INDEX Home Page

Back to: OLD IRISH RACING Home Page

Legal stuff: Content and images on this website are the property of Old Irish Racing and may not be used without permission. © Old Irish Racing 2018

PLEASE NOTE: From 1968 into the 1990's tobacco companies sponsored many significant race cars. In the interest of historical accuracy, Old Irish Racing chooses to display models in our collection as historically accurate as possible. While seeing a tobacco advert on a car gives me no more desire to go smoke than seeing a car makes me want to go suck on its exhaust pipe. If tobacco (or alcohol) adverts on race cars offend you, please go look at nice pictures of bunnies and kittens on another site.