MG Race, Sports & GT Cars

MG Speed Record Cars 1939-1959
1939 MG EX-135: Lieutenant-Colonel Alfred Thomas 'Goldie' Gardner OBE MC, who despite a serious leg injury sustained in WWI, went on to be one of England's greatest drivers between the wars. Just before the start of WWII, on the Autobahn in Germany, Gardner took the under 1,100 cc class world speed records over 2 km, 1 mi and 5 km distances, at average speeds of 203.5 mph, 203.3 mph and 197.5 mph respectively. After an overnight engine rebore, on 2 June 1939 at the same venue he gained the 1,100cc to 1,500cc class records over the same distances at average speeds of 204.3 mph, 203.9 mph and 200.6 mph. After WWII, he set numerous new records at Bonneville with EX-135 and when he retired from racing in 1952, he had over the course of his career set over 100 international and local speed records throughout England, Europe and the USA
Model by BIZARRE 1/43
1951 MG EX-135: Lt.-Col. Alfred Thomas 'Goldie' Gardner was an active race driver and was one of the most versatile racers of the 1930s and 1940; especially in MG based cars. He was also a noted engineer. It was his association with Sir Malcolm Campbell and his land speed record attempts at Bonneville in 1935 which set Gardner on the path to his focus on LSR attempts. Between 1936 and 1952 he set over 100 national an international speed records. In 1937, Gardner persuaded MG to assist him in purchasing the ex-George Eyston MG K3 based EX135 record-breaker of 1934. With an aerodynamic aluminum body over the space frame chassis, Gardner would use EX135 in several configurations during his career both before and after WWII. In 1951, he took the supercharged MG-TD 1.5 litre engined car seen here to six international and 10 American 1100 to 1500 cc class records. Among them 137.4 mph for a one hour average speed. He was back at Bonneville again in 1952 with the car and set another 21 speed records!
Model by BIZARRE 1/43
1957 MG EX-181: The 'Rolling Raindrop' with Stirling Moss at the wheel in 1957, set five international speed records including a top speed of 245.64 mph. The EX181 during Moss' record attempts had a supercharged 1489 cc MGA engine that produced 290 bhp. MGA front suspension was also used, but a Dion rear suspension was incorprated using production car leaf springs and dampers. Stopping was done be a single Girling disc brake!
Model by REPLICARZ 1/18
1959 MG EX-181 'Rolling Raindrop': The fastest MG ever! In 1957 Stirling Moss set five international speed records including a top speed of 245.64 mph in EX-181. In 1959, MG made a return to Bonneville and Phil Hill drove the EX-181 to a class record of just under 254.91 mph! EX 181 used a supercharged MGA Twin cam engine of 1.5L, producing 300 bhp and ran on a lethal mixture of methanol laced wth nitrobenzene, acetone and sulphuric ether.
Model by BIZARRE 1/43

MG Race, Sports & GT Cars to 1959
1949 MGTC: The TC Midget was the first post-war MG, launched in 1945. It was the car that launched the sports car craze, as returning GI's bought the nimble little cars they had fallen in love with while stationed in Britain. Powered by a 1.3L OHV four producing 54 bhp, the TC made up in fun what it lacked in straight line speed.
Model by VITESSE 1/43
1951 MGTD Mk2 (EX172) (Le Mans 1951): George Phillips, who was the chief photographer for Autosport at the time, was a keen amateur racer. He had entered his MCTC Special at Le Mans in 1949 and finished 18th overall and 2nd in class in 1950. His success at Le Mans, as well as the 1950 Tourist Trophy caught the eye and ear of Syd Enever, chief designer at MG. He and Phillips persuaded the brass at Abington to prepare a special bodied car designed by Enever, which would foreshadow the shape and look of the MGA. This car designated EX172, was a streamlined body on a conventional MGTD chassis, with race prepared MG 1250 cc engine. The car was capable of 116 mph top speed and showed great promise in the S1.5L class. The MGTD chassis caused the driver to sit high in the car, a disadvantag4e to both driver and aerodynamics! With Phillips driving along with Alan Rippon another successful British amateur driver, at Le Mans in 1951 the pair had the car as high as 35th among 60 starters. However, cooling problems caused delays and eventually a melted piston on Lap 81 ended their race. After Le Mans, MG started on a prototype that was purpose built on its own chassis, to be named EX175.
Model by BIZARRE 1/43
1954 Arnolt-MG
: "Wacky" Arnolt was a Chicago industrialist, who imported foreign cars into the United States, collaberating with Bertone to make custom bodies for MG, Aston, Bentley and Bristol based cars in the 1950's. In 1953-54 he sold the MGTD based Arnolt-MG, which was a four-seat touring car, which used the MG chassis and engine. Even with ;ightened panels, the small 1250cc engine producing 54 hp was inadequate for the high price of the car. Only 102 were built, of which 35 were convertibles and only 36 Arnolt-MG's are thought to still exist.
Model by NEO 1/43
1956 MG ZB Magnette: Following up on the ZA which was introduced in 1954, the ZB had a slightly more powerful version of the 1.5L BMC B Series engine than its predecessor. This is a Varitone model, with two-tone paint and slightly larger rear window. I have always liked these cars and with a top speed of 90 mph, a nice Sunday cruiser on the back road two lanes.
Model by OXFORD 1/43

1955 MG EX 182 (1955 Le Mans): Ken Miles and Johnny Lockett drove one of the three alloy bodied EX 182 entires by MG Cars entry at Le Mans in 1955. They finished 12th overall and 5th in class, ahead of the other finishing MG in 17th place. The EX 182 shape was based on the EX 172 from Le Mans in 1951 and the EX 182 cars were prepared by a revived MG Competiton Department. It was the racing prototype of what came to be known as the MGA. It was MG's last entry at Le Mans, the later entries being fielded by BMC or private teams.
Model by BIZARRE 1/43
1955 MG EX 182 (1955 Le Mans): Driven by Dick Jacobs and Joe Flynn at Le Mans in 1955, this was the second of the two cars entered by MG that year and accepted for entry. Like many British cars in its day, the MG was driven in convoy to Dover from Abingdon, then by ferry to France and by road to Le Mans from Calais. The EX182 was powered by a 1.5L 4-cylinder engine which was modified from the standard MGTD unit. A hand built chassis contained the mechanicals and the hand formed body with wooden framework included a full length under tray for better aerodynamics. Jacobs was the first MG away at the start with the other two team cars in pursuit, their instructions to run a moderate, steady pace. In the sixth hour after 27 laps in uncertain circumstances, Jacobs crashed the car at White House corner; the car rolling and catching fire. Jacobs thrown clear of the car had serious injuries however and would spend several months in hospital.
Model by BIZARRE 1/43
1955 MG EX 182 (1955 Le Mans): The first reserve car at Le Mans, the car was put in the race when an Arnolt crashed heavily in the Thursday practice. Driven by Ted Lund and Hans Waeffler, the car finished 17th overall and 5th in class. The two finishing MG's put MG in good position to return to contest for the Biennial Whitworth Cup. Lund collided with an abandoned Jaguar that was sticking out on the track around 5 am, while trying to overtake a Triumph TR2 at Arnage. The left front wing had to be beaten out, a new headlamp fitted and an attempt to adjust the steering as much as possible due to a tweaked chassis. Lund drove harder and achieved a 119.5 mph top speed on the Mulsanne straight in order to meet the minimum distance needed to qualify for position. After the disasters at Le Mans and the Ulster TT, BMC decided to withdrawn MG as a works team from sportscar racing.
Model by BIZARRE 1/43

1957 MG MGA : Produced from 1955-1962, the MGA replaced the dated T Series MG's. The "envelope" body was built with a body-on-frame design and used the straight-4 "B series" engine of 1489cc, producing 72 hp. Hydraulic drum brakes were used on all wheels and rack and pinion steering helped. It was a very popular car and naturally found its way into racing. In Sports Car Club of America competition the MGA has won numerous regional and national championships.
Model by DINKY 1/43
1959 MG MGA Twin Cam: The MGA Twin Cam was MG's much-anticipated, and valient, but ultimately unsuccessful, attempt at offering a more powerful version of the MGA. Powered by a 1.6-liter engine with 80 hp and though cylinder size was unchanged from the ohv unit, the Twin Cam had its own alloy head with hemispherical combustion chambers and a high-for-the-day 9.9:1 compression ratio. These and assorted other tweaks added 28 hp, boosting top speed to at least 110 mph. Only 2111 examples were built.
Model by STROMBECKER 1/24
1959 MGA Twin Cam: (1959 Le Mans) Ted Lund and Colin Escott drove at 1959 Le Mans and retired in 21st hour with gearbox problems, placing 17th overall and 3rd in class. Powered by a 1.6-liter engine with 80 hp and though cylinder size was unchanged from the ohv unit, the Twin Cam had its own alloy head with hemispherical combustion chambers and a high-for-the-day 9.9:1 compression ratio. These and assorted other tweaks added 28 hp, boosting top speed to at least 110 mph.
Model by BIZARRE 1/43
1959 MGA Twin Cam: The story of how the 1959 Le Mans entry came to be is an interesting one and is recounted in the book "Pay-it-Yourself". The book recounts the efforts of the North-West Centre of the MG Car Club to sponsor and run MG's at Le Mans in 1959, 1960 & 1961. This is a fanciful diorama, the team did not have major support from BMC and the MGA was actually delivred via flatbed truck. Hitting a large dog on the circuit at over 100 mph ended the MG's race!

MG Race, Sports & GT Cars 1960-1979
1960 MGA Twin-Cam Coupe (Le Mans 1960): Raced at Le Mans three times in between 1959-61, a small group of dedicated MG enthusiasts and investors in the team headed by MG dealer Ted Lund made those runs possible. Together, they make one of the most compelling stories of Le Mans with their determination to have the MG marque running in the world's greatest endurance race. An ex-works MG driver at Le Mans in 1955, Lund spearheaded the effort with help from friend John Thornley, General Manager at MG. Thornley was keen to get MG back into racing despite the BMC ban on motorsport competition at the time and loaned the team one of the ex-works MGA's now with twin-cam engine. Their race in 1959 ended after hitting a large dog on early Sunday afternoon.
Model by BIZARRE 1/43
1960 MGA Twin-Cam Coupe (Le Mans 1960): For 1960, the team was back, the MGA sporting alloy panel coupe bodywork, the MG converted from a roadster due to increased windscreen height requirements at Le Mans, with the engine increased from 1.6L to 1.8L. Lund and co-driver Colin Escott had an almost trouble free run over the twenty-four hours to finish 12th overall and 1st in class. MG sold the car to Lund after Le Mans and he and Escott would race it again in 1961 and raced it for eleven more years in local and national events in the UK. Team member Bill Hogg owned a lorry/shipping company and drove the 1960 entry to Le Mans on one of his flatbed trucks. Here we have tried to recreate from photos what that lorry and load looked like.
Model by BIZARRE 1/43

1960 MGA Twin-Cam Coupe (Le Mans 1961): By 1961, MG had decided to end its involvement with the MGA Le Mans car and it was sold to Ted Lund. That didn't mean that MG involvement had ended entirely, as they continued to provide a couple of mechanics for the week of Le Mans. However, the company was looking forward to the new MGB and Twin-Cam production had ended earlier in 1960. The group of investors and club supporters had also narrowed and the entry at Le Mans was in Ted Lund's name alone. It was originally assigned a reserve position, but was given a race slot as other cars dropped out, or failed to qualify.
Model by BIZARRE 1/43
1960 MGA Twin-Cam Coupe (Le Mans 1961): Since Le Mans in 1960, Lund had the nose of the car redesigned to make it more aerodynamic. The result was a car now capable of lapping Le Mans at 101.66 mph, the first MG to lap the circuit at over 100 mph! Joining Lund as co-driver in 1961 was South African Bob Olthoff, a MG test driver. Colin Escott that had co-driven in 1959 &60 was physically unable to race in 1961. The 1961 Le Mans outing was a short one. After 14 laps in the 2nd hour, the engine (the Achilles heel of the Twin-Cam MGA's) expired, ending their race and the trilogy of this car at Le Mans. Lund continued to campaign the car in club events and hill-climbs in the UK up to 1986. It has subsequently been restored to 1961 specification and is a fixture at major vintage and historic events today
Model by BIZARRE 1/43
The Ted Lund MG's at Le Mans (Le Mans 1959-61):
Models by BIZARRE 1/43
1960 MGA Coupe: The MGA was introduced in 1955, replacing the antiquated MG TF and production continued to 1962 when it was replaced by the MGB. The styling for the MGA which looked very contemporary in the mid-fifties is tied back to the 1951 Le Mans car, EX172. The MGA was initially powered by a 1.5L four-cylinder engine, which delivered 72 bhp. In 1956, the MGA Coupe was introduced, which gave MG owners a more refined interior, less wind noise and the heavier coupe was actually more aerodynamically efficient than the roadster. This gave the coupe a top speed of just over 100 mph. In 1959, the 1.6L version of the MGA Coupe was introduced, which had a more powerful (80 bhp) engine and front disc brakes for the first time. While MGA's have been very successful in club and vintage racing, a racing Coupe is rare and this car represents my good mate Ken Will's box stock MGA used in vintage racing events in the early 80's.
Model by BIZARRE 1/43

1960 MGA Coupe
Model by BIZARRE 1/43
1960 MGA Coupe
Model by BIZARRE 1/43
1963 MG MGB: The MGB was in May 1962 to replace the MGA and manufactured until October 1980. The 3-bearing 1798 cc B-Series engine produced 95 hp, giving the light car brisk performance and handling via rack and pinion steering. The preferred transmission was the four-speed with electric overdrive. I have owned a number of B's and they are cars I have a great fondness for.
Model by KYOSHO 1/18
1963 MGB (Le Mans 1963): BMC entered this MGB for Alan Hutcherson and Paddy Hopkirk to drive at Le Mans in 1963. They finished 12th overall and 1st in class, despite Hutcherson planting the car in the sand at the end of the Mulsane straight on the opening lap and taking 1 1/2 hours to dig it out. Basically a stock MGB fit with an aerodynamic nose, its mildly tuned 1.8L engine with single Weber, it could achieve 130 mph and completed Le Mans with a 92 mph 24 hr. average speed.
Model by LE MANS MINIATURES 1/43

1964 MGB (Monte Carlo Rally 1964): Donald and Erle Morley finished first in the GT Class and won the Grand Touring award by beating all the other sports cars on the 1964 Monte Carlo Rally in this car. The Morely brothers were accomplished rally drivers for Jaguar and BMC in Austin Healeys, MG and Austin Mini's. Using a BMC Competition Dept. tuned 1.8L 4-cylinder engine, suspension and brakes, the MGB was able to beat faster competition due to hits durability and lightweight.
Model by AUTOART 1/18
MG's at Le Mans 1963-1965
1964 MGB (Le Mans 1964): Paddy Hopkirk and Andrew Hedges teamed up again to drive the BMC entry at Le Mans in 1964. They finished 19th overall and 7th in the GT 2.0 class in this B (Ch.# ADO 23/986). While they averaged 99.9 mph, they finished 35 laps down to the Porsche that won their class. They would have a better run at Le Mans the following year. This B was run once more under the BMC banner at the Tour de France later in '64 with Hedges and John Sprinzel, DNF due to an accident.
Model by GAMA 1/43
1965 MGB (Le Mans 1965): Paddy Hopkirk and Andrew Hedges paired up to race the BMC MGB entry at Le Mans in 1965, just as they had the year prior. They finished 11th overall and 2nd in class, an improvement over the previous year's result, averaging slightly over 98 mph for the 24 hours. Sadly, this was the last Le Mans entry for MG as a works entry. For although it was extremely durable and reliable, the MGB was just was not fast emough for Le Mans any longer and class qualifying had become increasingly difficult.
Model by PROVENCE MOULAGE 1/43

1965 MGB : This car has the registration number BRX853B, which is the same as one of the BMC works rally cars from 1964. That car also raced at Sebring in 1966 as part of the BMC supported effort in the 2.0L GT class, but did not finish. In 1965, Anita and Trevor Taylor competed in the Brands Hatch 1000, which was a marathon race over a thousand miles around the circuit. They finished in 7th place overall and second in class.
UNIVERSAL 1/43
1966 MGB: This MGB was nicknamed "Old Faithful" since it was seemingly indestructible. Its career included the '66 Targa Florio, Monte Carlo as well as the Marathon, a 84-hour reliability trial at the Nurburgring. Andrew Hedges and Julien Vernaeve covered 5620 miles in route to the overall win. The car raced at Sebring in 1967 finishing 3rd in the GT class, before it was finally retired.
Model by UNIVERSAL 1/43
1967 MGB Mk II: The Willhire 24 Hour was an endurance race for production cars held at Snetterton Motor Racing Circuit in Norfolk, England between 1980 and 1994. Over the years, the race included both sports cars and saloon cars. This 13-year old B raced in the inaugual run in 1980, finishing 16th overall desoite mechanical problems. Driven by Julius Thurgood, Rae and Grahame Davis and John Trevelyan.
CORGI 1/43
1967 MG MGB: In 1967, the Mark II version of the B was introduced. Changes included synchromesh on all 4 gears with revised ratios, a new rear axle and an alternator in place of the dynamo. The engine had already been upgraded in 1964 to a five-bearing crankshaft in an effort to improve reliability. To meet US safety regulations, B's received a plastic and foam rubber covered "safety" dashboard, dubbed the "Abingdon pillow".
Model by JOEAUF 1/43

1968 MGC GTS: For Sebring in '68 a lightweight MGC GT was built with a modified 3.0L six-cylinder producing over 200 bhp. Paddy Hopkirk and Andrew Hedges were enlisted as drivers, finishing 10th overall and 3rd in class. This was to be the last BMC entry at Sebring, but this car ran with the second MGC GTS made, raced at Sebring in 1969 sponsored by the American MG importers, finishing 15th.
PROVENCE MOULAGE 1/43
1968 MGC GTS: The BMC Competitions Department built the lightweight MGC GTS to race in the Group 6 prototype class, usingd the steel MGC chassis and aluminum body panels Powered by a tuned 3.0L six-cylinder engine, the MGC GTS' were entered in long distance events in 1967 -1969. This car was the first of the two cars built, and was entered at Sebring in 1968, where Hopkirk and Andrew Hedges finished 10th. On the Marathon de la Route or 84 Hours at Nurburgring, the team of Hedges, Tony Fall and Julien Vernaaeve drove this car. While contending for the lead, on a scheduled pit stop near the end of the race, the cars brakes failed and it overshot the pit; knocking down an official. The brake callipers had to be replaced, resulting in a 17 laps penalty and a 6th place finish, 1st in Class. It was raced again at Sebring in 1969 (DNF).
Model by PINKO 1/43
Sebring MG's
1974 MGB GT V8: MG began offering the V8 in GT form only 1973 and produced the car through 1976. Featuring the 3.5L Rover V8 with aluminium block, the V8 GT finally gave the MGB the performance it deserved. Producing 137 bhp, the V8 engine was actually 40lbs lighter than the MGB 4-cyl., which also improved handling and braking. The MGB GT V8 was never intended for import to the North American market, although some have been brought over since.
Model by DINKY 1/43

MG Race, Sports & GT Cars 1980-Present
1985 MG Metro 6R4: The Metro 6R4 had very little in common with the production Metro cars, other than it did retain a Metro look. Austin Rover engaged Williams GP engineering to design the space frame car. They created a rear engine, four wheel drive rally car to Group B specs, powered by a 3.0L six-cylinder engine that would do 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds on its way to a top speed of 120 mph. The 6R4 was the only naturally aspirated Group B car and its early success gave way to the turbo powered cars. On the 1986 Tudor Webasto Manx International Rally, MG's would place 1-2. This car driven by Harri Toivonen and Neil Wilson retired. TWR bought the factory team and spares at the end of the '86 season. The engine in the 6R4 would find its way into the Jaguar XJ220
Model by IXO (modified) 1/43

2001 MG-Lola EX257: Mark Blundell, Julian Bailey & Kevin McGarrity finished 30th overall, but failed to finish at Le Mans in 2002 in this car. It had shown promise, finishing 5th at the Le Mans test. Built by Lola, the EX257 was built to LMP675 specifications for for Le Mans and debuted there in 2001. Powered by a MG / AER XP-20 Straight 4 of 2.0L, which put out 500 bhp, the MG's proved it could compete with the larger LMP900 cars, but in the end, its light weight cost it relaibility. Five cars were built and raced throgh 2007, winning several ALMS races.
Model by SPARK 1/43
2001 MG-Lola EX257: Jon Field, Duncan Dayton and Mike Durrand drove EX257 chassis #001 at Sebring in 2003 for Intersport Racing. They qualified 10th, but mechanical problems during the race resulted in a 30th place overall finish, but second in the LM675 class. Intersport raced the car in the 2002, 2003 & 2004 American Le Mans Series, including Sebring in 2002 (7th) and two runs at Le Mans in 2003 & 2004 (DNF both years).
Model by SPARK 1/43
2005 MG-Lola EX264: The EX264 was developed in association with MG and RML Racing. In its original configuration as raced in 2005, the all-carbon fibre monocoque chassis was propelled by a MG V8 developed by Judd and took the car to a class win at Le Mans in 2005. For 2006, the engine was changed to a turbocharged AER 2-litre engine with Mike Newton, Thomas Erdos and Andy Wallace took it to another class win at Le Mans.
Model by SPARK 1/43
2008 MG-Lola EX265 : The EX265 was the most technologically advanced MG racecars made by RML Racing. It was a further development of the EX264, which won its class at Le Mans in 2005. The EX265 was raced at Le Mans in 2008 by Tomas Erdos, Mike Newton and Andy Wallace. They did not finish due to crash damage. The EX265 is powered by a MG AER XP-21 2.0 litre turbocharged 4-cylinder engine which gives the carbon fiber chassis car a top speed of over 200 mph!
Model by SPARK 1/43



Back to: OLD IRISH RACING MODELS INDEX Home Page

For copies of images, questions or comments about the collection to: OLD IRISH RACING

Back to: OLD IRISH RACING Home Page

Legal stuff: Content and images on this website are the property of Old Irish Racing and may not be used without permission. Old Irish Racing 2018-2019

PLEASE NOTE: From 1968 into the 1990's tobacco companies sponsored many significant race cars. We don't promote tobacco use, rather we stronly discourage it. However, we do promote historical accuracy, Old Irish Racing chooses to display models in our collection as historically accurate as possible. While seeing a tobacco advert on a car gives me no more desire to go smoke than seeing a car makes me want to go suck on its exhaust pipe. If tobacco (or alcohol) adverts on race cars offend you, please go look at nice pictures of bunnies and kittens on another site. Thank you!